About the Mulch and Soil Council
Founded in 1972, the Mulch & Soil Council (MSC) is the national non-profit trade association for all producers of horticultural mulches, consumer potting soils and commercial growing media.
The mission of the MSC is to define quality products and promote a fair and open marketplace. To assist the industry in achieving these objectives, the Council provides:
- PRODUCT STANDARDS: The MSC develops industry consensus on product guidelines and promotes these guidelines to retail buyers, specifiers, news media and consumers of mulch and soil products.
- PRODUCT CERTIFICATION: To assist retailers, regulators and consumers in determining what products conform to industry guidelines, the MSC conducts label review, laboratory testing and periodic field inspectionto certify compliance with industry standards.
- REGULATORY REPRESENTATION: MSC works to create or change laws that assure our industry’s right to do business without unfair regulatory burden. MSC’s history of effective industry representation has made it the leading advisor to federal and state governments on mulch and soil products.
- ANNUAL MEETING: The Council sponsors an annual meeting offering owners and key company managers education on important regulatory and business issues for the industry.
- PLANT MANAGERS TRAINING COURSES: The Council sponsors training programs on weights & measures issues, product labeling, QC methods, and best management practices for bagged and bulk production facilities managers.
- INDUSTRY INFORMATION: The quarterly Council Newsletter conveys information on statistical trends, government regulations, product standards, Council activities, safety information, and a variety of other topics.
- SPECIAL REPORTS: We can’t control when emergencies happen, but we can react to situations that demand immediate attention. MSC issues special industry reports saving memberssave you time and money responding to key issues.
- ACCESS TO INDUSTRY RESEARCH: The Council produces research data to protect the industry from misleading news stories and inappropriate regulatory action.
The MSC truly is your resource for answers to problems facing today’s mulch and soil industry. Give us a call or visit us online and learn more about how the Council can make a better future for your business.